Just like the workout this month, the recipes and food options presented are to keep with the same theme. These are to give you great options, save you time, and keep you on track without having to break the bank, or take you off your game plan.
Is mental well-being equally important as is nutrition and fitness? Yes, and in reality your mental, emotional, physical and nutritional health are inseparable. They all affect each other. When one is out of balance we usually find imbalances in the other areas as well. When be build balance in one of these areas, by laws of the universe we will see balance being achieved in the other areas as well. In other words, they feed each other. These recipes are just a template. Be creative with your food and have fun.
Use alternatives to suite you, your needs and your palate. If you have any allergies sub the ingredients out for something that is safe for you to ingest. Take responsibility and have fun with this.
Spanish Stuffed Peppers
Serves 6-8 people
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium Jalapeño
- 2lbs ground chicken
- 2 tbs Spanish seasoning* (see below)
- 1 32 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 8 medium red and/or yellow peppers
- lime wedges
In a pan over medium heat cook the onion, garlic and jalapeño until translucent. About 3 min.
Then add chicken and sprinkle Spanish seasoning. Cook until no pink is left in the chicken. About 5-7 min. Then add tomatoes (undrained) bring this all to a boil, immediately reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes. As soon as the liquid has evaporated add cilantro
While you’re simmering, cup peppers in half and deseed. Blanch peppers in boiling water for 2-3 min. No more or the peppers get too soft. Drain water from peppers and stuff with all the good stuff you have been simmering. Add cilantro and serve hot.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground saffron
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper or cayenne pepper (totally optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of granulated garlic
- 4 teaspoons paprika (nice Spanish one is my favorite)
Mix all powdered herbs in an airtight container and store for up to 6 months. Stir or shake before using. This makes about a ¼ cup.
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Serves 6-8 people
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow/orange peppers cut into bite-size strips
- 1 medium onion
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning* (see below)
- 2-3 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1 clove of garlic
In a skillet heat oil.
Add peppers and chopped onion, cook until translucent (about 3 min).
Add turkey and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, cook 4-6 minutes or until no more pink in meat left.
Put mixture in lettuce, drizzle with garlic aioli and eat.
Cajun Seasoning (My secret recipe, well not so secret anymore.)*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, please crush
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme, crush this also
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoon File (aka sassafras)
Mix all powdered herbs in an airtight container and store for up to 6 months. Stir or shake before using. This makes about 1/3 cup.