with world-renowned CrossFitter & Coach Nicole Christensen
We headed to work out (side) in front of the iconic Flatirons with Nicole Christensen, owner and head coach of CrossFit Roots in Boulder. Christensen travels around the world to teach and coach CrossFit as a flowmaster for the CrossFit Level 1 and Level 2 courses. Her passion for CrossFit has lead her to become one of only 52 individuals worldwide to hold the distinction of CrossFit Certified Level 4 Coach. Christensen took some time outside of her facility, CrossFit Roots, to share with Lifestyle a workout fit for any athlete.
“This workout combines a bodyweight movement (air squat), weightlifting movement (deadlift) and a metabolic conditioning movement (running) to create a workout that challenges strength, stamina and cardiorespiratory endurance,” says Christensen.
What She’s Wearing: Local Boulder brand, Shebeest. Shebeest.com
Four rounds for time
/// 30 air squats
/// 15 deadlifts (135/95)
/// Run 400m
Begin by warming up with a 400m run, 10 push-ups, 10 air squats and a short hamstring stretch.
- Keep the shoulders relaxed.
- Keep a good posture with the torso extended and shoulders back.
Start by building up the deadlift weight slowly, over three sets of eight reps. The deadlift weight should be something that the athlete can complete in one to two sets every round. It should be relatively light and fast compared to the athlete’s total ability in the lift. Think roughly 35 percent of one rep max.
- The athlete should be able to maintain a perfectly flat back throughout all reps.
- Maintain weight in the heels
- In the setup, shoulders should be over or slightly in front of the bar
As for the air squats, remember that range of motion is paramount — begin from a standing position, descend to a depth where the crease of the hip is below side of the knee.
- Maintain the weight in the heels, with the knees pushing out laterally over the toes and the chest up.
- Start standing with the knees and hips extended fully and travel to below parallel